Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position

Chromatic players divide into two schools of thought on the concept of positions.

If you only ever play a C chromatic, and especially if you don't play diatonic, then the concept of positions is pointless. You could talk about that big minor draw chord when you play in D. But you just call it D (or maybe D minor); there's nothing to be gained by calling it anything else.

However, if you play chromatics that are tuned to different keys, then it's useful to know that the key of D played on a C chromatic plays identically to B on an A chromatic or G on an F chromatic. At that point, calling them all by a common term (such as third position) is helpful.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation